Obedience to the word of God is very vital for a Christian. The Bible has a lot to say about obedience. In the story of the Ten Commandments, we see just how important obedience to the word of God is. Deuteronomy 11:26-28 says “Obey and you will be blessed. Disobey and you will be cursed.”
Recommended for You >>> What the Bible Say About COVID-19 | Corona Virus Pandemic
Also in the New Testament, we learn through the example of Jesus Christ that believers are called to a life of obedience. The general idea of obedience, both in the Old and New Testament draws back to hearing or hearkening to a higher authority.
What is Obedience
Obedience is doing what you are told to do. It is doing or willing to do what you have been instructed promptly. Obedience also means hearing the word of God and acting accordingly to it or doing what the word of God says. Take note that delayed obedience is not obedience. Obedience is total co-operation with God’s word.
Why do you need to Obey God’s Word?
Some of you might be asking, “Do I really need to obey God’s word”? The answer is yes, you really need to obey the word of God and I will be telling you why you need to do it. God’s word is filled with his wonders and it takes obedience to the word of God to see his wonders.
- Obeying the word of God will prove that you love him. You can prove you love God when you do what he asks you to do. 1 John 5:2-3 “This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome”.
- When you obey God’s word, it means that you have great faith in him, not staggering faith. 1 john 2:3-5″This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the son of God”.
- When you obey God’s word, all the things that others have been dying to get will be added to you. Matthew 6:33 “seek ye first the kingdom of God and every other thing will be added unto you”.
Every commandment of God is for our profiting. So if God wants you to obey him, it’s best you do so, so as to enjoy the benefits of obeying him.
Person’s who Obeyed God
There are some people that obeyed God in the Bible and they had breakthrough encounters with him by just obeying him, their names are listed below.
- Genesis 26:1-24.
- Exodus 3:7-12.
- Daniel 6.
- Acts 26:19.
These are the selected names of those who obeyed God in the Bible. This means that the names of others were not listed.
Why is Obedience to the Word of God Important
Obeying God’s word and being a Christian is very important, and I will be telling you why.
- We need to obey God’s word because Jesus Calls Us to Obey. He says “If you love me, you will keep my commandments John 14:15.
- Obedience to the word of God Is an Act of Worship. And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Romans 12:1
- It is important to obey God’s word ecause God Rewards Obedience. “And through your descendants, all the nations of the earth will be blessed—all because you have obeyed me.” (Genesis 22:18,
- Obedience to God’s word Proves your Love for him. The books of 1 and 2 John explain that obedience to God demonstrates love for God. Loving God means we have to follow his commands.
- It is important to obey God because Obedience to God Demonstrates Faith. When we obey God, we need our trust and faith in him.1 John 2:3–6
- Obeying God’s blessings proves that Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice
When you obey God’s word, you receive the blessings of obedience so it is important you obey God.